The advent of ‘containerization‘ and standardization in intermodal shipping container industry has necessitated additional standards in pallet manufacturing.
Principally, this is because when loading cargo and freight for international transportation, there is always a fundamental requirement to maximize the utilization of space and overall distribution of weight within each shipping container.
Packing your goods on to quality, standardized pallets as well as choosing the correct size can save you time and money.
Efficient utilization can be achieved, subject to maximum gross mass/weight restrictions (usually marked as “Max Gross” on the right hand side door), through:
- Maximizing the number of pallets within the container
- Maximizing the headroom space above each pallet
- Maintaining balanced weight distribution of pallets within the container taking into account its maximum payload value
Benefits for customers and shipping container companies include:
- Reducing the marginal cost of small shipments (also referred to as Less Than Container Loads and often abbreviated to ‘LCL’)
- The ability to specialize in the LCL market by some shipping lines
- The ability to service multiple clients in a single container load
- Ease of loading and unloading
Whilst most shipping agents will be able to provide information on how many pallets will fit into your chosen container, it is worth spending some time understanding the various factors that could reduce the overall cost of your shipment.
Armed with this information, for example, you will be in a position to know just how many containers you really require and, more importantly, to know when your shipping agent is suggesting you require more containers than are really necessary.
We are pleased, therefore, to provide the following information sections to help you:
Standard Pallet Dimensions & Sizes
USA Pallet Dimensions
UK Pallet Dimensions
Euro Pallet Dimensions
Australia Pallet Dimensions
Galvanised Steel Pallets
Other Metal Pallets
Pallet Equipment & Accessories
Pallet Racks & Racking
Stretch Wrap / Film
Pallet / Stretch Wrapper